The End of 731 Days


"My team and I are still asking each person and body of persons working for the University and its people, not to delay the problem solving, and not to deny the people’s right to better services and quality facilities. I also request them additionally to always centre their actions to the people. Because the University does not belong to only a person or a group. This University belongs to us all. We are all righteous to enjoy our rights."

Members of IIUM Community,

I take this opportunity to thank you very much for all kinds of advice, encouragement, support and prayer you have shared with me throughout 731 days of my service to IIUM as the President of Mahallah as-Siddiq Representative Committee,.

I realise that I leave that office when some problems in my Mahallah remain unresolved. My people heard no more Azan and Iqamat in their Mahallah for more than 16 months; and for the last 4 months, my people deserve no more paid water machine in their Mahallah, where they could deserve cleaner water.

Since the first day these problems took place, my team and I have addressed this issue to various officials and departments in this University – and even to the highest level. We have even request them repeatedly not only to solve these problems quickly, but also to give back to the people their rights.

Moments ago, when I write this letter, I just received two news from my team: that Public Address system has been reinstated, but only for advertisements and announcements from the Mahallah Office; and that the University Cooperative is scheduled to install a new water machine in due course.

You might be unhappy with these updates. On behalf of my team, I am sorry. In truth, we have tried our best to fight for our people, and yet we have to work harder and fight harder for your rights.

Although Muizz Administration has ended, last 1 February, my team and I are still asking each person and body of persons working for the University and its people, not to delay the problem solving, and not to deny the people’s right to better services and quality facilities.

I also request them additionally to always centre their actions to the people. Because the University does not belong to only a person or a group. This University belongs to us all. We are all righteous to enjoy our rights.

Driving by this principle, my team and I have worked very hard throughout those days to establish and retain quality services, accessible facilities and beneficial activities for the people of this University, particularly residents of my Mahallah.

I am proud that, for the past 731 days, this Mahallah has been internally successful in providing social and technical supports to hundreds of residents; not only through day-to-day operations carried out by our dedicated staff members, but also scholarships, financial reductions and exemptions, food coupons and other assistances created by this University and other external parties to assist students who are in need.

I am also proud that, in the last 731 days, Muizz Administration marked significant achievements in at least five key areas: Islamic development, politics, diplomacy and foreign relations, leadership and community service.

Our success in those areas include the formal establishment of the University Student Leaders’ Assembly and the University Council of Nuqaba’ and Naqibaat of Usrah Mahallah, the issuance of Kuala Kubu Bharu Declaration on Usrah Mahallah, and the organisation of 3 large-scale activities reflecting the people’s concern towards health, education, and environment.

Not to forget, our success in re-establishing and maintaining relationship with all Mahallat in IIUM Kuantan Campus, and in providing the best hospitality to our local and international guests who had been visiting our Mahallah for various purposes.

These achievements prove that the role of this Mahallah has changed, beyond its essential roles to take care of residents’ needs, and to organise activities for the benefit of residents. This Mahallah has been involved directly, not only in providing wider political opportunities to the people of this University, but also in providing all Mahallat with the right way to interpret Islamisation.

Consequently, Muizz Administration – and individuals being a part of it – deserved formal and informal recognitions from various parties inside and outside the University for its contributions, leadership and value; not only to have one of us being honourably invited by the Rector of the University to attend a televised interview with TV al-Hijrah in her office, last March, but also to have one of us being the Best Male Mahallah Representative Committee Leader for 2015, last May.

These recognitions show that the success of a Mahallah should not be limited only to a number of activities, and that the commitment of leaders and citizens of a Mahallah should be always unlimited and beyond areas they have explored before.

However, we are not too contented with those histories and achievements. Mahallah as-Siddiq has to do more with education, entrepreneurship, culture and sports. I am happy that my successor put education and sports among the top priorities of his administration.

As a citizen, I look forward for the next move and the next success initiated and created by Br. Bukhari bin Isahak and the rest of Bukhari Administration. I assure that my confidence they have in the previous administration remains in the present administration.

As his predecessor, I would like to congratulate my successor for his ascension to the presidency of Mahallah as-Siddiq Representative Committee, last 2 February. I wish the entire Mahallah as-Siddiq – and the entire University Community – will support him in whatever he will be doing for his Mahallah and his University in the next days ahead. He will be assisting you in return.

I also would like congratulate those who have received IIUM as-Siddiq Awards in recognition to their contributions and services rendered to Mahallah as-Siddiq, the University and the people in various fields. I am proud that 235 recipients have received these Awards, since 2015, and will be receiving them later this year.

To my parents and family members, teachers and students, comrades and friends, and one and all of you, whenever and wherever you are, especially citizens of Mahallah as-Siddiq and people of IIUM: thank you.

I share the same prayer with President Bukhari: that the Blessings, Grace and Guidance of Allah SWT may dwell in this land and this people for years to come.

Comments